Thursday, September 24, 2015

Review: iOS Upgrade

 I updated my phone to iOS 9 last night and it was a complete disaster. I do not normally do upgrades when they first become available because they tend to be glitchy and I don't like change. I read the description of the upgrade on my phone and it did not seem to have too many cosmetic changes. Some of the positive attributes to upgrading were updated and improved battery life, traffic and maps, Siri features, and the addition of a news app, new multitasking views, and a variety of other features.

My phone had been acting slow recently so I decided to upgrade when I was relaxing after class.

I immediately regretted my decision!
There were several big feature changes that I did not like as well as no real increased phone performance.

1. There were minor differences in the keyboard and fonts. They were not big changes, but they were different and irked me. I could have dealt with these minor changes had it not been for the others listed below.

2. Find Friends was made a mandatory app. I had used the app in the past, but I was extremely irritated that it was a made permanent app that I could not delete. The app is a weird and very creepy and stalkerish way to know where your friends are at any given time. While it can be turned off or you do not have to use the app.. what then is the point of its required presence? This really bothered me because I do not want something to happen and for the app to decide to run itself. I also do not like being required to have apps on my phone that I do not use.

3. Still extremely slow. After my update had been completed, the phone was running as slow if not slower than before the update on the old iOS. I did give it a little while to settle but nothing changed, my phone kept freezing. It seems as though Apple wants everyone to upgrade to newer phones that will run smoother with the new updates.

4. I did not notice this myself, but after some Google research I read that the iOS9 platform drained battery life from peoples iPhones. This was one of the key factors in why many people updated the software and Apple did not follow through.


After playing around on the new platform and disliking it, I decided to restore my iOS back to the 8.4.1 version I had been using. I read a lot of directions and peoples reviews on this process and it seemed to work fine! However, there would be a limited time to downgrade as Apple only supports old iOS platforms for a few weeks after introducing new software. After successfully restoring my iPhone to the old iOS, iTunes was unable to find my most recent back up so I lost all my text messages from the last 3 months. I had thankfully uploaded all my pictures separately and they were all saved. My downgrading back to the old iOS after a short period of time is why I was unable to see for myself the draining of battery.

To be fair, I did not give the new iOS9 a fair shot, but with my initial dislike I did not care to try. I did not feel that the improvements outweighed the things I disliked about the update. Maybe I am biased because I do not like change, but most of the changes did not even affect the appearance of the phone.

I have debated upgrading to a new phone because I am due for an upgrade and I dislike my phone running so slowly, but I really dislike the size of the newest iPhones. I have an iPad mini, I don't need a phone that is getting close to the same size.

Has anyone else updated to the new iOS? What do you think? What are your thoughts on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus? Suggestions on other phones you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment